Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Parameter Layout: Any way to specify this in report designer?

Hi,
I am designing a report with 12 parameters in 4 groups that I would
like to layout in groups of 3 parameters. I cannot find any way to
specify a layout (other than the order, which makes it confusing for
the user.
Does anyone know if there is a way to do this or if it is something
that is planned for a future version?
Many thanks
PatrickHi, Patrick
Unfortunately, the Report Server doesn't offer much control of the
parameter toolbar, except for the order in which you display your
paremeters, and whether or not to display the parameter toolbar.
If you really need to create such layout, I would recommend creating an
ASP.NET web application with an aspx page that lays out your parameters
using web controls, then you can gather the input from the user in the
postback, and create your URL to the report server, or use the SOAP API
and call the Render() method passing those params in and return the
byte[] of the rendered report in the specified format.
I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but people do this
all the time and you can find tons of samples onn the web.
Regards,
Thiago Silva, MCAD.NET
On Nov 22, 6:06 pm, pfisc...@.hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> I am designing a report with 12 parameters in 4 groups that I would
> like to layout in groups of 3 parameters. I cannot find any way to
> specify a layout (other than the order, which makes it confusing for
> the user.
> Does anyone know if there is a way to do this or if it is something
> that is planned for a future version?
> Many thanks
> Patrick|||Hi Thiago,
You got it :( - BUT thanks very much for confirming this as I know I
have not missed something that I would kick myself for!
...The thing is, it is so easy to use as it stands and that is the
beauty of it I think. It's just that much more effort to code it -> but
again thanks for the tip on samples for this - clearly others have had
a similar experience. Fingers crossed it will be improved in a future
version.
cheers Patrick
tafs7 wrote:
> Hi, Patrick
> Unfortunately, the Report Server doesn't offer much control of the
> parameter toolbar, except for the order in which you display your
> paremeters, and whether or not to display the parameter toolbar.
> If you really need to create such layout, I would recommend creating an
> ASP.NET web application with an aspx page that lays out your parameters
> using web controls, then you can gather the input from the user in the
> postback, and create your URL to the report server, or use the SOAP API
> and call the Render() method passing those params in and return the
> byte[] of the rendered report in the specified format.
> I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but people do this
> all the time and you can find tons of samples onn the web.
> Regards,
> Thiago Silva, MCAD.NET
> On Nov 22, 6:06 pm, pfisc...@.hotmail.co.uk wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am designing a report with 12 parameters in 4 groups that I would
> > like to layout in groups of 3 parameters. I cannot find any way to
> > specify a layout (other than the order, which makes it confusing for
> > the user.
> >
> > Does anyone know if there is a way to do this or if it is something
> > that is planned for a future version?
> >
> > Many thanks
> >
> > Patrick

No comments:

Post a Comment