Friday, March 30, 2012

Parameter Problems ! ! !

Hi,
I have gone through all the suggestions on this site, but non of them have
solved my problem. I am new to reporting services, and I am facing a problem
and I dont' know whether the url based reporting is going to solve this for
me (i really hope it can).
I have a datagrid with link button which basically passes the parameters to
a report like id, startDate and and an endDate, so basically the report shows
data for that id between the startdate and the endDate. Now the parameters
are passed fine and it shows up on the text boxes in the report, however the
problem is that though I want to use the id as a parameter from the url, I do
not want to give the user a text box to change that value i.e. basically i
want it hidden and at the same time I want it to be able to use the value i
pass in the url... can this be done.. I would really appreciate if someone
could direct me on the right path...I have tried hiding prompts throught the
reporting manager, and using just a "space" in the reporting string, but
there's still text box showing up which I don't want to show... sooo plzzz
some one help me out. Thank you.. in advanceYes. It can be done.
Here is an example Url.
http://localhost/ReportServer?/<ReportDirectory>/<ReportName>&rc:Toolbar=true&rc:parameters=false&rs:Command=Render&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>
Replace the values that in brackets that match your requirements.
<ReportDirectory> - use if you've created a folder where your report
resides.
<ReportName> - the name of the report that you want to render.
<Parameter> - the parameter name that you are going to pass a value to the
report.
<ParameterValue> - this is the actual parameter value being passed.
If you have additional parameters you can add them to the end of the Url
using this syntax:
&<ParameterName2>=<ParameterValue2>
http://localhost/ReportServer?/<ReportDirectory>/<ReportName>&rc:Toolbar=true&rc:parameters=false&rs:Command=Render&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>&<ParameterName2>=<ParameterValue2>
I hope this helps. I use it all the time in my c# applications.
Yosh
"Safder" <Safder@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:44BA0D0A-53E3-4031-B8A8-43E0BC0BAFA3@.microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have gone through all the suggestions on this site, but non of them have
> solved my problem. I am new to reporting services, and I am facing a
> problem
> and I dont' know whether the url based reporting is going to solve this
> for
> me (i really hope it can).
> I have a datagrid with link button which basically passes the parameters
> to
> a report like id, startDate and and an endDate, so basically the report
> shows
> data for that id between the startdate and the endDate. Now the parameters
> are passed fine and it shows up on the text boxes in the report, however
> the
> problem is that though I want to use the id as a parameter from the url, I
> do
> not want to give the user a text box to change that value i.e. basically i
> want it hidden and at the same time I want it to be able to use the value
> i
> pass in the url... can this be done.. I would really appreciate if someone
> could direct me on the right path...I have tried hiding prompts throught
> the
> reporting manager, and using just a "space" in the reporting string, but
> there's still text box showing up which I don't want to show... sooo
> plzzz
> some one help me out. Thank you.. in advance|||Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately this did not work, is there any
pre-reqs to doing this .. i mean do i have to change any properties of the
report before doing this.? if not.. i tried using this same url you have
suggested, but all the text boxes still appear. Also i'de like to specify
that i have 3 parameters out of which i want to show only two. The three
parameters once again are id, startDate and endDate. So I'de like to show the
start and end dates and would like to give the user the option to change
those parameters, however i do not want to give the user the option to change
the id, and hence i want the "id" parameter to be hidden. Please let me know
if i can do this. Thank you.
"Yosh" wrote:
> Yes. It can be done.
> Here is an example Url.
> http://localhost/ReportServer?/<ReportDirectory>/<ReportName>&rc:Toolbar=true&rc:parameters=false&rs:Command=Render&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>
> Replace the values that in brackets that match your requirements.
> <ReportDirectory> - use if you've created a folder where your report
> resides.
> <ReportName> - the name of the report that you want to render.
> <Parameter> - the parameter name that you are going to pass a value to the
> report.
> <ParameterValue> - this is the actual parameter value being passed.
> If you have additional parameters you can add them to the end of the Url
> using this syntax:
> &<ParameterName2>=<ParameterValue2>
> http://localhost/ReportServer?/<ReportDirectory>/<ReportName>&rc:Toolbar=true&rc:parameters=false&rs:Command=Render&<ParameterName>=<ParameterValue>&<ParameterName2>=<ParameterValue2>
> I hope this helps. I use it all the time in my c# applications.
> Yosh
>
> "Safder" <Safder@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:44BA0D0A-53E3-4031-B8A8-43E0BC0BAFA3@.microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have gone through all the suggestions on this site, but non of them have
> > solved my problem. I am new to reporting services, and I am facing a
> > problem
> > and I dont' know whether the url based reporting is going to solve this
> > for
> > me (i really hope it can).
> > I have a datagrid with link button which basically passes the parameters
> > to
> > a report like id, startDate and and an endDate, so basically the report
> > shows
> > data for that id between the startdate and the endDate. Now the parameters
> > are passed fine and it shows up on the text boxes in the report, however
> > the
> > problem is that though I want to use the id as a parameter from the url, I
> > do
> > not want to give the user a text box to change that value i.e. basically i
> > want it hidden and at the same time I want it to be able to use the value
> > i
> > pass in the url... can this be done.. I would really appreciate if someone
> > could direct me on the right path...I have tried hiding prompts throught
> > the
> > reporting manager, and using just a "space" in the reporting string, but
> > there's still text box showing up which I don't want to show... sooo
> > plzzz
> > some one help me out. Thank you.. in advance
>
>|||In SQL 2005 simply check the hidden property... In SQL 2000 do NOT give the
parameter a label and it should be hidden from the user.
--
Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Mariner, Charlotte, NC
I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ( PASS) and it''s
community of SQL Professionals.
"Safder" wrote:
> Hi,
> I have gone through all the suggestions on this site, but non of them have
> solved my problem. I am new to reporting services, and I am facing a problem
> and I dont' know whether the url based reporting is going to solve this for
> me (i really hope it can).
> I have a datagrid with link button which basically passes the parameters to
> a report like id, startDate and and an endDate, so basically the report shows
> data for that id between the startdate and the endDate. Now the parameters
> are passed fine and it shows up on the text boxes in the report, however the
> problem is that though I want to use the id as a parameter from the url, I do
> not want to give the user a text box to change that value i.e. basically i
> want it hidden and at the same time I want it to be able to use the value i
> pass in the url... can this be done.. I would really appreciate if someone
> could direct me on the right path...I have tried hiding prompts throught the
> reporting manager, and using just a "space" in the reporting string, but
> there's still text box showing up which I don't want to show... sooo plzzz
> some one help me out. Thank you.. in advance|||If I'm understanding you, you want to have an ID parameter filled in
programmatically but not available to the user to change. I have the same
requirement. All I do is set the parameter to hidden under Report : Report
Parameters and check the Hidden checkbox.|||That is for RS 2005.
Bruce Loehle-Conger
MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
"Bob Fisher" <bob.fisher@.mben.com> wrote in message
news:uKj7TXM2FHA.1032@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> If I'm understanding you, you want to have an ID parameter filled in
> programmatically but not available to the user to change. I have the same
> requirement. All I do is set the parameter to hidden under Report :
> Report Parameters and check the Hidden checkbox.
>|||Hi,
Thank you for the suggestion, I tried what you told me to do in SQL Server
2000 i.e. from "Report manager" i checked the "Prompt user" but i didnt give
any "prompt string" , but what happens in that case is only a text box
without a label shows up,and that does not help I am lookin for something
which does not show a label or a text box. Please let me konw if it's
possible. Bob fisher actually summed up pretty well about what i want,
however his suggestion was for 2005, i am lookin for something which would
work for 2000. Thank you
"Wayne Snyder" wrote:
> In SQL 2005 simply check the hidden property... In SQL 2000 do NOT give the
> parameter a label and it should be hidden from the user.
> --
> Wayne Snyder MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
> Mariner, Charlotte, NC
> I support the Professional Association for SQL Server ( PASS) and it''s
> community of SQL Professionals.
>
> "Safder" wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have gone through all the suggestions on this site, but non of them have
> > solved my problem. I am new to reporting services, and I am facing a problem
> > and I dont' know whether the url based reporting is going to solve this for
> > me (i really hope it can).
> > I have a datagrid with link button which basically passes the parameters to
> > a report like id, startDate and and an endDate, so basically the report shows
> > data for that id between the startdate and the endDate. Now the parameters
> > are passed fine and it shows up on the text boxes in the report, however the
> > problem is that though I want to use the id as a parameter from the url, I do
> > not want to give the user a text box to change that value i.e. basically i
> > want it hidden and at the same time I want it to be able to use the value i
> > pass in the url... can this be done.. I would really appreciate if someone
> > could direct me on the right path...I have tried hiding prompts throught the
> > reporting manager, and using just a "space" in the reporting string, but
> > there's still text box showing up which I don't want to show... sooo plzzz
> > some one help me out. Thank you.. in advance|||how would you do it in Reporting services 2000
"Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> That is for RS 2005.
>
> --
> Bruce Loehle-Conger
> MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> "Bob Fisher" <bob.fisher@.mben.com> wrote in message
> news:uKj7TXM2FHA.1032@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > If I'm understanding you, you want to have an ID parameter filled in
> > programmatically but not available to the user to change. I have the same
> > requirement. All I do is set the parameter to hidden under Report :
> > Report Parameters and check the Hidden checkbox.
> >
> >
>
>|||Hi Safder
if you want your paramaeter to be hidden from user. After deployment to
Portal, you will have to go to report manager and go to you report properties
and go to parameters section and uncheck the prompt user check box
"Safder" wrote:
> how would you do it in Reporting services 2000
> "Bruce L-C [MVP]" wrote:
> > That is for RS 2005.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Bruce Loehle-Conger
> > MVP SQL Server Reporting Services
> >
> > "Bob Fisher" <bob.fisher@.mben.com> wrote in message
> > news:uKj7TXM2FHA.1032@.TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> > > If I'm understanding you, you want to have an ID parameter filled in
> > > programmatically but not available to the user to change. I have the same
> > > requirement. All I do is set the parameter to hidden under Report :
> > > Report Parameters and check the Hidden checkbox.
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
> >sql

No comments:

Post a Comment